Cocopeat is made naturally from the by-products of the coconut industry. Fibres from coconuts are processed by washing, heating, and grading make them into various products of different granularity and density.
The application of the product is known for its hydrophilic, porousness and nutrient retention capacity is often used in agricultural industries as a growing medium and in industrial industries as an absorbent
Our products are a subsidiary of Van Luyk Nurseries (https://vanluyk.com/). Based on our specific applications and niche production requirements our cocopeat can be modified and mixed with different nutrients and pH levels to meet any need and specific growing requirements.
All our products are sourced directly Northern Sri Lanka’s Coconut Belt: which runs in the Jaffna Penenisula from Iyakachi to Chavakachcheri, internationally recognized for exceptional quality coconuts. Cocopeat specific to this region is known for its naturally occurring macronutrient and macronutrient compositions and high potassium capacity, high cellulose, and lignin, and is free of invasive bacteria’s and fungal spores.
- All coconuts are handpicked with stringent oversight to ensure no additives are included into our raw materials
- After harvesting the coconuts are milled to the high-quality specifications of the Coir Board of India
- A team of highly trained horticulturalists check samples throughout the process for fiber content, size, and purity of the cocopeat as it is separated from the coco fibres
- Raw material batches are washed a minimum of 3 times to ensure purity using the naturally occurring lakes and streams
- To ensure that our product is free of fibres the medium is passes through sieves to eradicate any fibre contents
- Based on customer requirements, pH and Electrical Conductivity (EC) is tested at different stages based on specific customer requirements with a strive to maintain a pH balance between 5.2 and 6.8.
- Further testing is done at Van Luyk Nurseries in Canada to ensure the products maintain the same level of quality from their shipping point in Sri Lanka
- Based on bespoke requirements of clients, Van Luyk Nurseries alters the mixes for specified pH, nutrient and EC for niche industries